Data platforms, AI, Web3 to transform Customer Experience, says IDC
By Amber Hickman
Analyst firm IDC predicts that businesses will invest in customer data platforms, artificial intelligence, Web3, and other technologies to transform the customer experience in 2023 and beyond.
According to the IDC FutureScape: Top 10 Predictions for the Future of Customer Experience report, customers are demanding greater value, more memorable and immersive experiences, and greater control over how they interact with enterprises in order to feel like equal stakeholders in the customer experience ecosystem. The report forecasts how businesses might use digital technologies to overcome macroeconomic challenges such as inflation and decreasing customer growth, whilst navigating hybrid work and technological evolution.
“In a world of accelerated uncertainty, the next era of customer experience innovation will be led by those brands that improve value for the customer through empathy and delivering outcomes for customer success,” said Sudhir Rajagopal, research director of Future of Customer Experience at IDC. “Thrivers will share and apply intelligence at the speed of customer engagement, create new customer engagement models and metrics for a digital business, and tap into the power of decentralization to create equitable value parity in customer and business outcomes alike.”
IDC forecasts that:
1. By 2027, 25 % of global brands will abandon customer satisfaction scores as a measure of customer experience, and instead adopt a customer effort score as a key indicator of satisfaction.
2. By 2024, 50% of the Forbes Global 2000 (G2000) will adopt customer data platforms as the data service for real-time customer interactions, which should increase customer experience metrics and revenue by 5%.
3. Around 64 % of the G2000 will own online communities by 2027, and core IT application integrations will enable a new wave of collaboration and outcome-based insights which would help foster loyalty.
4. By 2026, 40 % of the G2000 will incorporate employee experience initiatives into their core customer experience strategies to compete in talent acquisition and retention.
5. By adopting Web3 technologies, 45 % of global brands will be able to create new immersive experiences, accessible content, and engaged communities, which should help grow the customer experience economy into a $300 billion market by 2024.
6. By 2026, 45 % of the G2000 will use artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies to elevate context and nudge customers into experiences that improve sentiment metrics and brand upselling potential.
7. At least 30 % of organizations will introduce new success metrics to track and measure the internal and external flows of customer value creation by 2024.
8. Half of G2000 enterprise customers will primarily select their customer experience platform provider based on the efficiency of the vendor’s customer success services by 2025.
9. Just under one-third (30 %) of organizations will be forced to expand data management and privacy measures to mitigate risks of data breaches by 2024.
10. By 2026, 40 % of G2000 companies will build communities to foster interpersonal guardrails for future metaverse platforms – and collect first-party data.
Founder, TopCSjobs.com & The Customer Success Café Newsletter
Hakan Ozturk is a Paris-based Customer Success leader with over 15 years of experience in the computer software industry. Passionate about driving growth and delivering value to strategic customers, Hakan has established himself as a trusted industry expert. As the Founder of The Customer Success Café Newsletter and TopCSjobs.com, Hakan provides valuable industry insights and daily-updated job opportunities worldwide in the field of Customer Success. Connect with Hakan to unlock your company’s potential for success.